Saturday, January 17, 2009

Barack Obama - times they are a changin'





The times are hard and often discouraging. Watch the news and you will hear about companies going under, folks being laid off, food shelves bare from increased numbers of users...Even in my little corner of the world of social work, budgets and services are being cut in a time of greatest needs.

This song has been stuck in my head for the last several days. I can't recollect a time when our country has ever needed change more. Maybe instead of talking bailouts we should be looking at ways to reinvent ourselves. Isn't that what America is all about? We can do things better! "America: New and Improved"...I think that should be our mantra!

And yet, in this time of great despair, there is hope. I look forward to Barack Obama's inauguration with great hope. We won't dig ourselves out of this hole immediately and there will be stumbles along the way...but his presidency is our greatest hope...the times they are a changin' (praise the lord).

(Note: Initially I wanted to find a Bob Dylan version of this song...but then I found this one on YouTube that featured James Taylor, Carly Simon and friends from the No Nukes movie concert that I saw many, many times years ago! Great stuff!)

(Another note for local folks: I'll be watching the Inauguration with other folks at Riverview Theater in south Mpls. Free and open to the public. Doors open at 9:30 with the Inauguration around 10:30! I think it will be a great place to be!!!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you have to pick James Taylor mom, it's make me cry when ever I hear him sing now. I can even enjoy what you wrote.