Saturday, June 2, 2007

Pamper Day

Well, according to the clock it's Saturday (2:30 a.m.) and that means that tomorrow I'm getting married. It is less than 36 hours away. Unreal.

Today--or Friday--was Girls' Pamper Day. Ana, Hannah, Julie & myself went to Aveda Institute and had manicures. Julie & I splurged and had pedicures as well. It was great to spend the time with my best friend and our daughters.

Julie and I became friends just after Ana was born and Julie was expecting her first child. At the time, we both worked at the University libraries. Our lives were similar in that we both worked for the library and that we were starting our families; however, the similarities ran much deeper than that...we both majored in Studio Arts. Our values and view on life were/are remarkably similar...we are both Saggitarians. Although we have not lived near one another now for over 20 years, our connection continues to deepen. We both went through ugly divorces from our children's fathers at about the same time (almost 20 years ago). We both raised our children as single parents. We are both now in healthy relationships that I think will carry us through the rest of our lives. She is my best friend and my chosen sister. The fact that she is here for my wedding means the world to me.

So, it was very satisfying to spend this day not only with Julie, but our daughters as well. We not only survived raising our children on our own, but our children have grown into interesting, responsible young adults (save a piercing now and then). And as our children are ready to embark on their own lives, we are ready as well to embark on our new lives.

It doesn't get much better than that.

No comments: